Version 0.4 – Effective March 19, 2019
We are committed to ensuring the clear and consistent use of our trademarks and to protecting the rights of legitimate users.
Snowdrift.coop reserves as trademarks: 1
- The full name "Snowdrift.coop"
- The primary name "Snowdrift" when used in the context of online fundraising, creative project support, and/or community building
- Our various identifying logos
- The term "crowdmatching" when used in the context of fundraising
This policy seeks to clarify and promote acceptable use including honest and compliant commercial activity.
We prohibit any use of or reference to Snowdrift.coop trademarks that involves false or misleading implications including any use not compliant with the guidelines below or otherwise authorized in writing, any use in false advertising, or use of misleadingly similar marks.
Uses that require no special permission
- Using one of our logos as a hyperlink directly to Snowdrift.coop.
- Making true factual statements about Snowdrift.coop or communicating truthfully that your project takes contributions via Snowdrift.coop.
- Identifying or describing Snowdrift.coop in articles, blog posts, etc., under the "fair use" doctrine.
- Describing or promoting your projects on Snowdrift.coop in a way that is not misleading.
- Making Snowdrift.coop trademark merchandise for non-commercial usage.
- Making Snowdrift.coop trademark merchandise for commercial usage, provided truthful and prominent portrayal to customers of your affiliation, or lack thereof, with Snowdrift.coop and of what part of the selling price, if any, will be donated to the Snowdrift.coop project.
Uses that require special permission
- Using Snowdrift.coop trademarks, or confusingly similar marks, in any way that may suggest an affiliation with or endorsement by the Snowdrift project or community where no such affiliation or endorsement has been formally made.
- Using Snowdrift.coop trademarks in a company or organization name or as the name of a product or service or in domain name (even without commercial intent), or using Snowdrift.coop logos as part of another company's logos or branding.
Best practices for use
- Avoid suggestion of affiliation, participation, or endorsement with Snowdrift.coop if there is any question about the validity of that connection.
Prominently acknowledge our ownership of the trademark.
[TRADEMARK] is a (registered, if applicable) trademark of Snowdrift.coop.
As appropriate, explicitly disclaim sponsorship, affiliation, or
endorsement by Snowdrift on your website and related materials.
X PROJECT is not affiliated with Snowdrift.coop.
- Use the exact form of the Snowdrift.coop trademarks, with no subtractions or additions, following our guidelines for logo usage.
- Do not include the Snowdrift.coop trademarks in acronyms.
- Do not refer to Snowdrift.coop as simply "Snowdrift" except casually where the full name has already been made clear in the immediate context. 2
Please contact us to ask about any use not expressly permitted by this policy, to report any unauthorized use, or for any questions about this policy. Please include any relevant information about the type and nature of the use and any relevant organizational affiliation(s).
The Snowdrift.coop Trademark Policy is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike (CC-BY-SA) v4.0 just like the rest of the non-trademarked parts of our site.
This policy may be periodically revised. Revisions will be dated and posted to Snowdrift.coop/trademarks.
- Note that we do not hold trademarks on the Mimi & Eunice characters. They are our independent adaptations of artwork by Nina Paley, licensed under CC BY-SA 4.0 International (the same license we use for non-trademarked parts of our site). ↩
- Note: we formally use the name "Snowdrift" for the free/libre/open software that runs the Snowdrift.coop website. ↩